Friday 21 September 2012

Time Flies

So today marks exactly one month since I left Canada for Japan, and I'm still having a wonderful time. Today on the walk from school to the train, I managed to have a successful conversation completely in Japanese, and fully understood everything everyone was saying. My grammar is still a mess, I keep forgetting my particles, but still pretty happy communication is becoming easier. Of course, I've had conversations before, but this was the first time nothing flew over my head and I didn't have to slip back into english or get anything translated. Fun fact, a few times since I've been here I've attempted to say something in Japanese, but used Spanish instead. I don't even speak Spanish save for a few basic phrases.

Anyway, things is Japan are continuing as usual. Everything is starting to feel a little more normal, but I often look around, realize where I am, and want to dance I'm so excited. I think I'm settling in fairly well, the heat should finally start dying down soon, and I no longer get lost at school all the time (to my credit, the layout of that place is crazy). At school I've joined the calligraphy club at school, which meets twice a week and is great for helping me to learn kanji, the ideograms taken from Chinese that the Japanese use for many things. Calligraphy is an art form that doesn't really have a western equivalent, so learning it has been interesting, though fairly difficult.

An example of my (not very well done) calligraphy, that word is 'tomodachi' meaning friendship, and that's probably the 40th draft. The small writing on the side is my name is katakana.

My friend Sari's mother, a native Japanese Speaker, told my parents that Japanese was a gentle language, and when I do calligraphy, I feel I finally understand what she means. It makes me feel closer to both the language and the culture, and I really enjoy it. One of my school friends, Yui, has been practicing calligraphy since she began elementary school, and writes beautifully, though even still she goes through piles of paper before getting a satisfying result.

I'm also continuing to get along with my host family, though I haven't been able to spend much time with my younger host sister Anri, due to her being very busy with sports and school. It's currently exam season in Japan, so most students are currently very intent on studying. However, I have still been bonding with the family, we eat dinner together almost every day, and last weekend my host parents took me to the zoo. Most of the animals were just relaxing in the shade because of the heat, but there was a baby orangutang who showed off for us, and we also got to watch the big cats eating lunch.

Me and my host parents, Naomi and Tatsuo hanging out with a family of plastic polar bears.

All in all, it's been a great first month, and I can't wait to see what's coming. 

Note: When I wrote this it had been a month, apparently I forgot to post it until now, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment