Sunday 19 August 2012

First Week In Japan

So today marks one week that I've been here, and man, it's been a great experience so far. Though I've only been here for seven days (I guess it's closer to six, I arrived kind of late monday night and it's only midmorning as I write this) I've been lucky enough to see so much and try some great food. My Japanese is still pretty rudimentary, but I'm learning new words every day, and getting better at communicating with my host family.

Earlier this week, my host family took me on my first trip within Japan. We drove up to northern Hokkaido to meet my extended host family, if that's the right term for it. I got to meet my host father's parents as well as his brother and cousins, who had a two month old daughter. Everyone was very kind to me, and it was a great experience. We also saw a traditional Japanese temple and the ocean, where there was a small aquarium of sorts housing several seals. A presentation on the animals was given (in Japanese, so I didn't understand much, but I was able to learn how the seals were related to one another) and then we were allowed to pet them. I even got a kiss!


We stayed for one night at a hotel that had it's own onsen, or, in english, hot spring, though onsen are quite different from the hot springs back home. You wash before entering, and every one is naked (male and female baths are usually kept separate). I was a little uncomfortable at first, but a situation is only awkward if you let it be, so I think I'll get used to it pretty quickly. On day two of our trip, we began driving back to Sapporo and stopped at a few gardens along the way. One of the gardens, Kaze no Garden (Garden of Wind) was also famous for having a drama television by the same name use it as the setting. The gardens were all very nice, and a welcome brake from long drives.

From left to right: My host father Tatsuo, me, my host sister Ai, my host father's mother, my host mother Naomi, my host sister Anri and my host brother Tarou at Kaze no Garden

Since returning home, I've most been relaxing and working on my language skills before school starts, with a few outings to go shopping, go to a sports club, and eat at a few japanese restaurants. Today I'm going to see my school in session for the first time, meet the Principal and some of my teachers, as well as get my uniform. All in all, having a great time in Japan! 


1 comment: